Thursday, February 14, 2008

"I Listen to Everything"!

If I had a quarter for every time I've heard this. The truth is NO YOU DON'T!! It's impossible to even do such a thing. Music is so much more infinite than us western folk can even comprehend. If you listen to everything, then you are truly a first and may I add someone with no life. In other words, you mean to tell me that you listen to rock, rap, pop, soul, jazz, country, metal, klezmer, blues, hawaiian, world music, swing, progressive, industrial, folk, ambient, classical, etc.......... Hell, I haven't even touched on Eastern music. Such a person doesn't exist. I think people say this because we feel we may offend somebody if we leave out a particular genre. Too bad. Let's face it, most people, especially the herd, listen to maybe one or two types of music at best: pop and rap. When people tell me they listen to "everything", I love throwing some of my bands at them and of course they've never heard of such bands. To which I reply with my smart ass self "well, then you don't listen to everything". I don't listen to mainstream music and I make no apologies for it. People who do, shouldn't say they like everything because as far as they're concerned, nothing exists outside of the radio or Mtv, and these 2 mediums don't even scratch the surface as far as "everything" is concerned. If these 2 forms of media constitute "everything" for you, then you're soulless. Hate me for that, I don't care. It's the truth..........

No comments: